I stopped blogging three years ago. At the time, I'd started a new job and blogging was feeling less relevant than posting on then-ascendant Facebook, which directed way more eyeballs to my posts. Oh, and I simply wanted a break.
I've missed writing more expansively than social media allows, especially about travel, life and being out in the world. Twitter gives me too few characters. Facebook is now part of my routine but it's a noisy place full of news, pictures, ads and self-promotion. I wanted my own space back, even if it's more of an island than my social media life. I wanted a little David Alport island all my own again!
So where to start ... or re-start?
How about with a short list of notable things that have happened to me in the past three years ... none of which are directly connected to not blogging.
- I met a great guy -- Jake -- and we're at the beginning of year three together
- I traveled to Paris, Geneva, Johanesburg, Cape Town, Rome, Venice, Beijing, London, Prince Edward Island, Black Rock City, California (12X), New Orleans, the Four Corners, Aspen/Vail, Naples (FL), the White Mountains, Greenville, Seattle and St. Louis (the homeland)
- I became Co-Chair of the Housing Works Thrift Shops board of directors
- I became an AAdvantage Million Miler
- I became head of Communications for my global health organization, which is suitable to my skills but lacking the travel excitement I crave
- I celebrated a milestone birthday (nope, not 30)
- I continued to obssess about the weather in advance of every vacation I took, despite trying not to
- I fell in love with camping again
- I flew on the A380, twice
- I tried to watch more TV (failed), read more books (failed) and spend ample time with family and friends (succeeded)
There you go. And here I go. Onward and upward with Upright & Stowed.